Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sunmart Report

I ran the Sunmart 50k today and for the first time during a race actually faced a dilemma. While complete the short loop at the start of the race I came upon a young lady laying on the side of the course. There were a few other ladies talking to her but not really helping her. My mind said stop and help but my watch was telling me to run on as I was running with fellow 7hills member Robert Duncan and we were at a great pace. Well my mind won out I couldn't just leave her there knowing she was hurt. I started my patient assessment and found out her name was Amy and that she was from Austin and that she had tripped over a root and heard something pop in her ankle. I elevated her ankle and thus began our 45 minute wait for the medic to show up. I helped load her onto the 4wheeler and said goodbye and good luck. Then I was off again. I set my mind to playing catchup and it went pretty well for a couple of hours as I passed a lot of the people that had passed me while I was stopped.
I had planned on coming in under 6hr30min so that I bettered my Rocky Raccoon 50k time but god had other plans for me now that I look back at it I'm glad I stopped. i was able to help another human being as I have been trained to do and isn't that more important then a finishing time. On a side note my running partner finished in 5hrs 22mins 33sec. I finished in 7hrs 11min 34sec. If you take the 45 min stop off my time I would have came in under 6hr 30min. but I'm happy and I'm healthy. And ill be back next year.

4 comments:

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Helping someone else out definitely trumps time! Great job and good to see you out there yesterday-all you guys looked great!

7 Hills could not have had better representation!

WalkSports.com said...

It is all about others - and not a time on a watch that nobody is going to remember in the end.

Well done!

Anonymous said...

You represent our club well Norman.

K said...

Well done, good and faithful servant!