Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Houston Marathon Report

Well I had the worst marathon I so far on Sunday. After two weeks of training on what I thought was a broken big toe on my right foot I ran the Houston Marathon on Sunday. Everything was going good till about mile 6 when my calf started cramping on my right leg. My only thought was that my gait had changed due to the toe issue and was causing the calf to cramp. I choose to run on and it finally relaxed only to come back at mile 15 which is about the same time I started feeling really sick at my stomach. I drank water and Gatorade at every stop hoping that I would avoid dehydration. I also to some endurolytes because during rocky raccoon I had the same experience and someone gave me the endurolytes and I felt better. Well it didn't work this time, I just continued to feel worse. At mile 22 I took the beer truck up on it offer of free beer thinking that the carbs would give me the energy to continue on well at mile 24 I got to taste that beer again and it was not nice. The best part of my day was making that last turn and seeing the finish line. My finish time was 5:20:51. Horrible, Horrible, Horrible. I spent and hour and a half in Medical to top it off. I'm hoping there is a lesson to be learned from this but I just cant figure it out. Well at least I finished.

5 comments:

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

I guess what they say is true, we never really know what our body will do beyond a certain point in these things. I know that fact had me all freaked out prior to my race Sunday.

You are still one of the toughest and most inspiring individuals I know!

Anonymous said...

Your running records speak for themselves. We all have bad days (me more than others - ha). You chug-a-lugged to the finish line. I'm proud of you!

Bill D said...

Let's go over the weeks before Houston. Sunmart 50K, the 30K, Texas Marathon then Houston.

Just a little tired.....NOT "Horrible, Horrible, Horrible"

You are an inspiration.

See you soon

K said...

You have run so many great races, that having an off day feels like a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad day.

There is no way that you can ever have a bad run when you are such an inspiration to so many!

David said...

I know how hard it is to run on the sore metatarsal I sometimes get on the bottom of my foot. The big toe sounds like a deal killer but you still finished the marathon- great job.