Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Ike Experience

This is a rundown of how my extremely long weekend went.

Thursday 9/11/2008 - Went to Houston to the Astro's game for Hero's Night. It took an extra hour and a half to get home because we had to take the back roads to avoid the traffic.

Friday 9/12/08 - Went for a run the came home and packed for a long weekend at the station. Reported for work at 6pm. Tried to get as much sleep as we could with the storm coming in because we knew we were going to get busy.

Saturday 9/13/08 - Got our first Major call for help at about 4:45 am at the peak of the storm in Elkins Lake. Some of you heard about that on the news and Ill leave it at that.
On our way home from the call found that our route in was now blocked by one huge tree so we had to find an alternate way out. Ill just say its not fun crossing interstate 45 in a fire truck when 45 plus winds are blowing down on you.
Spent a lot of the day Saturday doing SAR( Search And Rescue) through out Huntsville. Along with a structure fire and many many other calls.

Sunday 9/14/08 - Finally sent home off Duty at 7:00 am but I hung around the station as there was no power at home. Finally made it home about 10am

Monday 9/15/08 - Reported the the station for my regular 24hr shift at 7am and felt like I had never went home. My partner and I ran I think it was 14 calls which is a lot since we usually run 4 or 5 for a our 24 hour shift. We got power back at our house about 6:30pm today.

Tuesday9/16/08 - I got off at 7am today. I went out for a run which I haven't been able to do the past couple of days due to being at work. then set to work on cleaning my yard. I'm looking forward to sleeping finally in my bed with AC instead sleeping on a military cot and eating MRE's. Total calls we ran thru out the whole storm 113.

I'm thankful that everyone I know survived. My parents who's home is in LaPorte lost everything. My sisters all three of them are ok and so I my brother. So all in all I would say we are blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANKS for all of your hard work over these last few days. You and your family are true heroes.